Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Utrecht in B&W

I'm starting to like B&W photography more and more. These pictures are taken with a new compact camera I recently bought: Panasonic Lumix TZ7. This compact camera is a handy addition to the Nikon DSLR I have, because it's much more convenient to take with me. For a compact camera, the specs are quite impressive. 10 million megapixel, 12x optical zoom, ultra wide angle lens (16:9) and it can also film in HD quality (720p) with stereo sound(!). The Intelligent Auto modus lets you snap pictures quickly without having to do anything about the settings. On paper, the ISO range goes up to 3200, but I noticed that at dusk the quality of the images isn't that great compared to my DSLR which has only ISO 1600 max. I put the camera in my backpack wherever I go now, it's really great!



I snapped the following pictures in Utrecht last Tuesday with this Panasonic and added the B&W filter in Aperture. I don't like the result on every picture, but I think this is because I cannot shoot in RAW with this little monster. Just experimenting though, I hope to become better soon. I will also start playing with an analogue camera soon, for fun :)







5 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Nice shots!

I have an older Panasonic Lumix and I have NOT been happy with it at all. I'm thinking of replacing it, actually.

Maaikees said...

ah, is it a camera with not a lot of optical zoom?

Well, if you have money and really want a good camera you can think about replacing it with an entry model of a DSLR camera :)

Milla said...

Beautiful pictures! And now that my own little and old Lumix is 80% gone bust, I might get one like yours.

Maaikees said...

There's a new model, the Lumix TZ8.
I've compared the specs with the TZ7 and it's barely any better, so if the pricetag is >50 pounds more than the TZ7, I'd say fuck the TZ8 and get the TZ7 and save yourself some money.

Wandering Coyote said...

Mine is a DMC-LZ8, with a 5x optical zoom. If I replace it, I think I'll go with a Canon. My previous camera was a Canon, a seriously old clunker, and it took way better pictures than this one.