Monday, March 14, 2011

The outline of the trip

Only four days remain....and then I'll board a plane headed for the United States! It's kind of crazy how fast time goes. The trip was only booked in January! Seems ages ago and yet it also seems a very short while ago. The anticipation is slowly building. I picked up a suitcase from my parents house on Sunday. It's still empty, but won't be for long. I'm going to start packing tomorrow already, so that I won't have to stress about it too much on Thursday. I'm very bad at packing, it can easily take hours....and then I'll probably still forget stuff.

For those of you who are interested: I'll fly on Friday 10:25 am and will arrive about 2 pm local time (8 pm for ya Dutchies). I'll meet Garry at JFK Airport and hopefully I won't get too much shit at customs. We'll either take a cab or use the train/subway to get to the hotel. Hopefully between 5 and 6 pm we'll arrive there. Depending on how tired we are I guess we'll go and grab a bite and walk around. Then in the next days I really want to see the MoMa, the Metropolitan, Guggenheim, Central Park, Ground Zero, Soho, shops...and I just want to wander around with my camera and take lots of pictures! Christiaan is so kind to let me borrow his netbook, so you'll probably see lots of updates from me (yay for free wifi everywhere these days).

I really wonder if I can manage my healthy eating habits in New York. I'm really curious about the American diet, and if it is really as crazy as people tell me. I also wonder how life is for a vegetarian over there. I'm really into visiting supermarkets in foreign countries and the supermarkets in Canada were great! They had so much vegetarian/vegan stuff. The soy milk was beyond wonderful, it was heavenly! I hope to grab the same brand in the US (So Good Soymilk).

On the 23rd of March we'll fly to Chicago early in the morning (6 am local time, ouch). We'll spend some time with Nik and Paola's family and rent a car to go to London (Canada). At this point of the trip I'm really hoping to see some nice nature and landscape.

On the 27th we'll be back in Chicago and spend some more days there. The first skyscrapers were built in Chicago, so I really would like to go on a architectural tour. Chicago also has a great museum: The Chicago Art Institute.

Time will probably fly.....and on March the 31st I'll already be back in NL. Who's coming to pick me up at Schiphol? ;-)

No comments: