Friday, July 17, 2009

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

On our second day in Copenhagen, Daniël and I ventured out alone, as Sylvia really had to work on her master thesis.

We went to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, a museum for ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian art. There were plenty of sculptures, and I love taking photo's of those! The Egyptian ones were my favorites of course. I have to admit, that after visiting the British Museum only a week before, this museum could not compete with the collection and sheer size of the British Museum.

That being said, Daniël and I enjoyed ourselves here. The building was quite nice, with plenty of detail in the ceilings and walls. One ceiling in particular was really psychedelic to me:


The museum also had its collection of mummies and because it was relatively quiet, I took a picture of me and Daniël with the mummies! How cosy.



Their section with Egyptian sculpture was relatively small, but it sported some nice ones!
Disclaimer: not all of the pictures below this text are Egyptian.






This small statue was my favorite in the museum:



And of course,
we saw the stupid little mermaid, the biggest tourist trap of the city.
We were warned that it's only a small, uninteresting statue, but I still had an expectation of some sorts. When we arrived there it really was super small! Tourists were crowding around her, wanting to take a picture with her. I was more interested as to WHY this statue becamse such a big tourist attraction. The fountain nearby was sporting a huge statue which was carried out with more skill and interesting shapes than the Mermaid, and yet there were only a few people hanging around there!

4 comments:

Misha said...

Wow, I'm jealous! The Glyptotek is one of the ancient art galleries I have yet tot visit. Dont'they also have some Babylonian brick reliefs?
Some day I'm going to go there!

Nice pictures + story BTW!

X

Milla said...

Beautiful pictures!

I believe the Lorelei statue has been vandalised many times over...I think at some point one of her feet/part of the tail had been chopped off.

Christiaan said...

The Lorelei statue had a dildo in her ass the week before I got there. They already removed it lol.

You look very happy on the museum picture :D I don't think I went to the museum, we had a very busy schedule in Kopenhagen and didn't have a lot of time for culture.

Good to see you're enjoying yourself!

Wandering Coyote said...

That is one seriously psychedelic ceiling - very cool!